Tuesday 6 July 2010

Rowan Summer Crochet: Hydra

Can you spy it in the trees? Yes, at long last, I have actually managed to crochet a garment I would not be embarassed to wear. This is the Hydra pattern from Rowan's new Summer Crochet book, apparently their first book dedicated to crochet. This is great for crochet freaks like me. I don't really want to spend money on a knitting book that just happens to have one or two crochet patterns in it.



This is crocheted in 2 parts, front and back, and then the neck and sleeve bands are crocheted on once the tank top is sewn up.



The initial band is a bit of a killer to crochet. It is done on a 2.5 hook, which if you're used to using 5s or 6s for blankets, seems awfully small. It is not difficult, just never ending. However, once you've got over that hurdle, then it is easy and fast, just treble, chain, treble, chain, all up the body.


The neck and armhole shaping need care in counting, but if I can manage it anyone can, lol.

The neck band is quite plain, but the arm bands are a delight, and really make the tank top into something a bit special.

3 comments:

  1. great top! I would love to learn to crochet, be seeing as I can knit and have only got half way through a cardigan for my self in 6 months, some how doubt I'll ever learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! I bought the pattern book last week from my LYS...now I just need the funds to purchase the yarn. Could be some time before I get started on this one! axxx

    ReplyDelete