Thursday 22 April 2010

Painted Furniture Inspiration

Our rented holiday house in Bruges had the most lovely light airy feel to it. It was a 4 storey traditional townhouse, probably several hundred years old, but decorated in a modern cleanlined style. What I particularly liked was the painted furniture. Here in the bedroom at the top of the house is a little painted desk. If you look closely you can spy my latest crochet project.


And here in the same room is a little wardrobe finished in the same lovely soft grey colour. Now these pieces of furniture are not grand or especially expensive looking. I think they probably started life as the orangey pine most of us have had in our houses at some time. But don't they look nice all painted up.



Here in the bedroom on the first floor is a lovely wooden painted bed. The dark walls are not really to my taste, but they do set off the painted white furniture beautifully.

So, you can guess what happened. I came home, and my house looks shabby. Mismatched colours of painted furniture, red here, blue there, compete with pine and oak and mahogany furniture. It just looks so cluttered and mismatched. The green velvet chesterfield and the gold velvet chaise in my living room just look too colourful.

So, before you can say "Farrow and Ball", I'm off looking for grey paint. I would never have imagined that it is so difficult to choose grey paint. There are green greys, blue greys, steel greys. Yikes - I've chosen 242 by F&B plus the lovely named "Mouse's back". Pictures to follow.


1 comment:

  1. fab wardrobe! Mouses back is just a perfect name for a grey paint too, what are you going to use the mouses back on?

    ReplyDelete