Sunday 14 March 2010

Big Granny Crochet Blanket

I've been waiting for a bit of sunshine to take pictures of my blankets. My house is very dark - it would really benefit from a lot of white paint, but unfortunately it is a rental so I'm not allowed to paint. It makes taking photographs indoors very challenging in the winter especially. So, this Saturday, with the appearance of a bit of blue sky, I dragged my blankets out into the garden to photograph them. I started out with a white sheet on the ground which you can see though some of the photos, but it proved too small for many of the blankets.



Here is the first one, the Big Granny I made last summer. It is an extremely easy crochet pattern. All you need to know how to do is to chain, and treble crochet. You make a little granny and keep going, until she is the size you want. This is a great blanket for a beginner. Some people change colour mid-round if they run out, but I'm strict about going all the way round in one colour. The last round took about 75g of wool and I reckon that this large 6' across version took about 40 balls of 50g superwash 100% wool at around £3.50 each. That's a lot of money for me, and I wouldn't have bought it all at once, but buying a couple of balls here and there doesn't seem as expensive.


I see this pattern in a lot of vintage blankets, so it must have been pretty popular in the 70s.

No comments:

Post a Comment